As much as it pains me to admit this, I’ve been slacking on my nighttime routine. I blame it on being in a new country and trying to keep up with everyone in the US via social media. Such a bad excuse, I know.
My nighttime routine has been looking like a lot of sweets (popsicles to be specific because it’s so hot), TV and phone before bed, and not much skincare.
Intentionally creating a perfect summer night routine is a must for me.
“The secret of your future is hidden in your daily routine.” – Mike Murdock
Here’s what we will cover in this article:
- 10 tips for a productive nighttime routine
- Evening Routine Examples
- The Best nighttime checklist
Before we get into it, share this post on your social media to inspire your friends and family to also set up a productive routine.
In no particular order, here are 10 tips for a productive routine:
Make a list of your non-negotiables
– These are things that you will absolutely not negotiate on. Is there something you absolutely love to do every night that brings you peace, happiness, joy, fulfillment? Write them down and find a way to implement them into your bedtime routine. Remember, the evening time is meant to wind you down from a long day so keep that in mind when you’re writing your list.
Journal or fill out a printable
– The Wellbeing Journal is one of my greatest new investments. I purchased mine in Barnes & Noble, but you can find it linked here. Below is a great printable checklist. Fill it out or mentally tick things off your list. This checklist a great way to keep your evening flowing so that you feel productive and accomplished.
Go for a walk or move your body
– If you’ve been sitting at your desk all day, it’s so important to get that beautiful body of yours moving. Take a walk around your neighborhood or a park, breathe in some fresh air, listen to music or a podcast and begin to unwind. Leave all your work and worry behind because it’s your time now.
Tidy up your space
– Empty dishwasher, wipe counters, take out the trash, quick sweep or vacuum, and declutter some areas. Studies show that cleaning your space can help tidy up your brain which leads to a sense of accomplishment, happiness, and pride. I don’t know about you, but it feels good going to sleep accomplished.
Eat something light earlier in the evening
– Late, heavy dinners take a toll on the digestive system. Since moving to the Middle East, I’ve noticed a huge change in the way I sleep when I consume heavier meals at night. The lighter the meal, the better I feel. Research shows that lighter meals the night before increase energy the next day.
Make a priority list for the next day
– Jot down a few of your to-do’s. This helps turn off “work mode” so your body can relax and helps bypass any morning stress. Making a priority list the night before helps maximize your morning productivity.
– According to Herbal Dynamics Beauty, your skin cells undergo regeneration when you sleep. Due to this, giving your skin the skin proper nutrients to do its job is a must. For younger-looking skin, it is important to use proper skincare and get a good night’s sleep. Skincare provides the proper nutrients for the cell’s regeneration process so do some research on which skincare products to use and give yourself a pamper night.
Change your sleep environment
– It’s no surprise that the summer months are hot. If you’re feeling like you just can’t cool down, then it might be time to change up your bedroom. Add a proper fan, cooling sheets, or change your curtains. Also, swap out your traditional pajamas for lighter linens which will help you sweat less.
Read a good book
– it’s no surprise that less screen time is ideal before bed. Put away those phones and finish up your Netflix shows early so that you can wind down with a good book. Studies show that only six minutes of reading can help reduce stress by 68%. I have so many great book recommendations for you.
Lastly, prioritize your sleep
– No better way to end a good nighttime routine than with sleep. Now that you’ve tidied up your space, ate well, journaled, did your skincare, and stretched, it’s time for lights out. Sleep is number one for your body and mind so get in those ZZZ’s.
Evening Routine Examples
This article from Forbes shares some great insight as to why evening routines are so powerful. As you’ve probably understood by now, creating an evening routine is beneficial for productivity.
Alternatively, I’ve attached a fun evening routine you can use if you prefer visuals. Remember to save and follow whenever you need.
The Best Nighttime Checklist
The key to a good routine is an even better checklist. To avoid any randomness along the way, follow this checklist to keep you on track.
“Failing to plan is planning to fail.” -Allan Lakein
Having a checklist is a great way to visualize a clear plan of action, steer you towards the things you need to accomplish, and focus on yourself instead of pleasing those around you.
If you like this post, be sure to check out: